Save Derby Velodrome
Derby Cycling Group and Derby Mercury Cycle Club send a huge thank you to everyone of the thousands of people who have expressed support for the Derby Multi Sports Arena incorporating the velodrome and concert space.
A lot of support has come from non-cyclists because this is not just a cycling project. We invite everyone who supports the DMSA for whatever reason, to join the campaign events outlined below:
1. Sign the “Save Derby Velodrome” petition: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/save-derby-velodrome.html
2. Come to Derby market place at 5.30pm on Monday 21st May to show your support. At 6pm there will be a short ride around the city centre for those on bikes. People from other sports may wish to play their own game on the market place at the same time.
Your letters so far have been a largely private correspondence with the council leaders and the above actions are two ways that you can demonstrate your support in a more public and quantifiable way.
Your voices have been heard, but so far we have had no reaction. We understand your letters have aggravated some councillors, filling their e-mail in-boxes, and we have been accused of orchestrating the campaign. This is of course simply democracy in action and we are simply surprised and delighted that this project meant so much to so many people that they have CHOSEN to support it.
If you are a Facebook user please click on the “like” button above in order to help spread the word. Thanks to all those who have already supported the campaign including past and present world champions.
Background: The incoming Labour council administration has opposed the creation of the velodrome in the past and they will decide whether to sign the contracts or not. Originally it was thought that they would decide over the weekend of the 13th May but they have now put off the decision until 23rd May. It is important to keep the pressure on.
The out-going council administration (who support the velodrome) has decided not to sign the contracts but to leave it to the Labour group.
- Write now to all three councillors and tell them you support the velodrome
- Phone Radio Derby and tell them you want Labour to sign the contract to build the velodrome (01332 616161)
- E-mail Kirsty Green at the Derby Telegraph to say you think the Velodrome should go ahead ( email@example.com )
Why do it if you won’t use it?
- As well as providing a fantastic facility for local racing cyclists, the velodrome will boost Derby’s local economy by bringing thousands of people to the city from all over the UK who wouldn’t otherwise come here
- They will spend money in our shops, hotels and other businesses keeping people in work as well as paying to use the velodrome
- It has already attracted the attention of businesses looking for somewhere to locate factories and offices; it will set Derby apart from the crowd.
- It will provide a unique concert and sporting venue with the velodrome track above and around the main sports hall/audience arena.
- Cycle Derby plan to extend their hugely successful projects which get thousands of local youngsters cycling every year into the velodrome. Literally thousands of Derby children take part in BMX and cyclo-cross racing, keeping them fit and healthy, and giving them experience to also use their bikes for transport. They will be use the velodrome as well as part of their school-based activities.
- Sporting cyclists often support the cycle transport schemes that we propose and this is our opportunity to help support sporting cyclists
Please act now to secure a landmark facility in Derby.