All posts by admin

Cycling to the Train

We’ve received a video from Alistair Clark who thought other members might be interested in viewing it. You can give yourself a small test of how well you know Derby when viewing it to see if your recognise all the locations!

Any other budding film directors are welcome to submit their work. All members can create their own posts together with the video.

Folding cycles on buses

Folded Brompton

I regularly take a folded Brompton onto buses in Derby and Nottingham and, until recently, have always found it really easy. However, a couple of recent episodes have caused me problems. These were:

  • I was evicted from the Medilink service (between the 2 hospitals in Nottingham) as the driver said “bikes (folded or not) are not allowed on the service”. I’ve taken this up with the service provider and they have agreed on a policy which allows folding cycles in the future but with a lot of restrictions – e.g. must be in a bag, must be able to be carried in one hand, must be with the passenger at all times, driver has final say, …
  • Trent Barton Red Arrow driver informed me that folded cycles would only be allowed inside the coach if enclosed in a bag. Generally I’m happy to store the bike in the lockers underneath the coaches but Derby bus station now has barriers preventing access to the lockers and some of the Red Arrow coaches have dangerous lockers which cannot be used (and which have been broken for months!). Further discussion with Trent Barton has not resulted in any definitive policy.

In general, I see a general trend from the bus companies in trying to find reasons not to allow the folded cycles onto their services rather than actively trying to encourage more passengers to combine the use of cycles and buses. I hope to see this trend reverse in the near future.

One tip for Brompton users is that the IKEA large blue plastic/fabric bag (cost of 40p each from the checkouts) is large enough to place a folded Brompton into.

I should say that, apart from the recent incident with the Red Arrow, I have found Trent Barton to be very accomodating to me and my folded cycle and hope they can continue this excellent attitude.

Members’ Meeting Minutes, November 2011

Minutes of meeting Derby Cycling Group Tuesday 1st November 2011 Brunswick

Actions in italics!!

Present:

Tony Roelich, Dave Clasby (Chair),  Les Sims, Martin Aldred,  Lucy Care, Martin Quarton, Ian Alexander, Ian Dent, Nigel Aspdin, Ian Care.

Apologies

John Palmer, Mark Crossley, Dave Waldram, Vijaya Ramisetti.

Minutes of  meeting

Minutes of the October meeting were read and agreed, except that Martin Quarton was not at the October meeting.  DW was to contact the British Motorcycle Federation as a balance to MAG.  Agenda is being sent out by the Chair of the next meeting.

Actions Arising

Signage round Holmes Bridge LC/ DC to draft signs, cable ties available, extra copies in case of vandalism and removals.  On going.  DC to contact DT when competed

Website links – MC to contact all political groups to have our weblink on their websites. On going

Cycle Liaison MeetingTR to send an email asking for meeting. On going

Cycle Forum Matt Holmes invited to Cycle Forum DC to do that. On going.

Cathedral Quarter – Issue for cycle forum and TR/DC to arrange meeting with Matt Holmes. On going.

EmailMC to ensure outside organisation send emails to secretary@der…. Which can then be redirected to relevant committee members.

Parking Provision – LC has had an email exchange with Motorcycle Action Group who are interested to work with us on parking issues.

City Centre car parking – DC raised at the Board and unregulated car parking is recognised and Council might take action.

Cathedral Quarter BUG: DC has talked to

Hannah Fox we are interested in principle in taking up offer to run event at Silk Mill, but project developing is to have cycle powered end to Olympics.

Council Question: Council meeting is 23rd November, question has be in earlier.  LC and DW still to develop a question. DW to ask the question – on-going.

Station Notice Board: MA to keep it updated.

Website: ID now an administrator on Facebook.

CCTV camera: IA to write to Everards about installing a camera outside the Brunswick because of stolen bikes outside the pub.  On-going.
Continue reading Members’ Meeting Minutes, November 2011

October 2011 minutes

Minutes of meeting Derby Cycling Group Tuesday 5th October 2011 Brunswick

Actions in italics!!

Present:

Tony Roelich, Dave Clasby,  Les Sims, John Palmer, Martin Aldred,  Lucy Care, Martin Quarton, Ian Alexander, Ian Dent (Chair), Dave Waldram,

Apologies

Nigel Aspdin. Mark Crossley, Vijaya Ramisetti, Ian Care

Minutes of  meeting

Minutes were read and agreed. Agenda is being sent out by the Chair of the next meeting.

Actions Arising

Membership meeting went ahead.

Station

Nothing new.

+MA to ring them up to find out what progress has occurred.

Council are going audit the new design for the station forecourt. Money runs out at end of March. New multi storey car park near to station.

Continue reading October 2011 minutes

Beth’s Kitchen cycle friendly cafe at Breedon-on-the-Hill

We’ve been contacted by Beth’s Kitchen which is a cafe at Breedon on the Hill which is cycle friendly. It has a good covered outdoor area where you can see your bikes and good toilet facilities. The owners say “I’m about to buy a few running spares for everyone, cables, allen keys, tubes, tyre levers etc and bring in my track pump! (Any old tools not needed will be gratefully received and put into a designated tool box.) I’m looking at putting in some hooks and locks so that bikes can be secured if you want to explore other shops around the site.”