Members’ Meeting Minutes, November 2011

Minutes of meeting Derby Cycling Group Tuesday 1st November 2011 Brunswick

Actions in italics!!

Present:

Tony Roelich, Dave Clasby (Chair),  Les Sims, Martin Aldred,  Lucy Care, Martin Quarton, Ian Alexander, Ian Dent, Nigel Aspdin, Ian Care.

Apologies

John Palmer, Mark Crossley, Dave Waldram, Vijaya Ramisetti.

Minutes of  meeting

Minutes of the October meeting were read and agreed, except that Martin Quarton was not at the October meeting.  DW was to contact the British Motorcycle Federation as a balance to MAG.  Agenda is being sent out by the Chair of the next meeting.

Actions Arising

Signage round Holmes Bridge LC/ DC to draft signs, cable ties available, extra copies in case of vandalism and removals.  On going.  DC to contact DT when competed

Website links – MC to contact all political groups to have our weblink on their websites. On going

Cycle Liaison MeetingTR to send an email asking for meeting. On going

Cycle Forum Matt Holmes invited to Cycle Forum DC to do that. On going.

Cathedral Quarter – Issue for cycle forum and TR/DC to arrange meeting with Matt Holmes. On going.

EmailMC to ensure outside organisation send emails to secretary@der…. Which can then be redirected to relevant committee members.

Parking Provision – LC has had an email exchange with Motorcycle Action Group who are interested to work with us on parking issues.

City Centre car parking – DC raised at the Board and unregulated car parking is recognised and Council might take action.

Cathedral Quarter BUG: DC has talked to

Hannah Fox we are interested in principle in taking up offer to run event at Silk Mill, but project developing is to have cycle powered end to Olympics.

Council Question: Council meeting is 23rd November, question has be in earlier.  LC and DW still to develop a question. DW to ask the question – on-going.

Station Notice Board: MA to keep it updated.

Website: ID now an administrator on Facebook.

CCTV camera: IA to write to Everards about installing a camera outside the Brunswick because of stolen bikes outside the pub.  On-going.

 

Station Forecourt

MA is going to a meeting this Friday for the Derby station stakeholders being run by East Midlands Trains.  After a series of presentations there is a Q&A.  Suggested questions: Introduce cycle parking on the platforms (seen as more secure).  Need for additional cycle carrying capacity on trains – both full size and folders.  Other things being stored in cycle storage area.

Could ask our wider membership for ideas; MA and ID to co-ordinate.

Connecting Derby

Not known whether Normanton Road cycle lane has been removed or not.  Bramble Street could be an example of opportunity to use the new ‘no entry except cycles’ signage, which has just been published.  Discussion about various roads where contraflows could be used.  Future agenda itemnext chair to arrange.

LSTF

DC been to a very positive meeting with the council.  There had been concern about the backwards action (bus lanes and city centre changes), and lack of Trent Barton support undermined the old bid, but also due to poor bid construction.  New proposed bid is to improve the corridor south from the city centre to the new development areas at Celanese, by the Alvaston fields and down to Chellaston industrial area (“Pride Park 2”).  This would probably include a new bridge, and aim to engage with BUGs and small businesses in the area.  Is going to be a stakeholders meeting soon – we should be invited.

University Queensway route

University and Council appear to be waiting for each other.   DC continuing to chase the issue…  Watson Street to Kedleston Road possible route still being mentioned by us as possible use for S106 money to create a through route.

DC to ask about possibility of improving cycle/pedestrian exit from Markeaton Park.

Letter to new Secretary of State

TR has drafted a letter to Justine Greening encouraging a more sustainable, cycle friendly view for national transport policy.  Strong encouragement to tweak this and send

LS suggested it would be good to invite Simon Geller, Secretary to Cycle Nation, to Derby, and maybe make it an open meeting.  LS to investigate possibilities.

Cycle Nation Conference, Sheffield

DC reported that the CTC and Cycle Nation are now working very closely together.  This brings together at a local level the rides and campaigns side of the national CTC agenda.  As a result the CTC will be using their resources to provide campaigning materials for local groups.  ‘Street Maps’ online reporting system is being developed and looks as though it will be good.

East Midlands Cycle Forum

Agenda – Planning issues and localism; engaging in local democracy.  Venue booked, 11Feb. Will be a ride.  Sounbites being asked to provide food.  Cost will be only to cover expenses.  DC and LC to meet again to think more about the agenda and content.  LS to think about the ride.

Membership document

Not discussed in detail, but ID says that he has not verified the membership data.  To be considered again in due course.

Newsletter

VR has started work on next newsletter.  May be able to take some items from the website – which gets around 25 hits per day!  Any other suggestions would be welcome.  Action – all.

Website

Discussed protocols for submission of material and whether it should be moderated, and if so how.  Agreed to allow ID to do some light-handed moderation (with a note that this has been done) and if needed to delete – and rules outline to be put on site.  Lots of contributions welcomed.

Events

Please could people put any events on the website!  For example, cycling enabled women to stop wearing impractical clothing – so there’s a cycling and suffragette event in Leicester on Saturday.

Committee Planning

Discussed the various roles needed by the group and the people available to fill them, in particular noting that we’ll need a new treasurer in May.

AOB

1.  Need to book rooms for these meetings.  Were we booked in as a Socialist Group tonight?!  Action: IA

2.  Folded Bromptons are being rejected by some bus companies.  TrentBarton rejected one on the Red Arrow, said it needs to be in a bag (Ikea big blue bags cost 40p and are fine.)  Dave Holloway, CTC, is working on a national approved policy for buses.   Could be mentioned at the Cycle Forum or ask for experience on the website.

3.  A61 cycle paths (shared pavement) towards Little Eaton surfaces are deteriorating.  MA to report to Streetpride.

4.  £40m economic development money being given to Derby, much for the West Chellaston Business Park, gives a big opportunity to ensure that it is built cycle friendly and links well with other areas.  Agreed to write to Richard Williams (Council) to express our interest in being fully involved in the development as a key stakeholder.  Need more discussion on this next time.

Date of next meeting: 6th December.  The Brunswick.

Chair: Les Sims, then John Palmer.

After meeting: DC remembered that he had intended telling people about the closure of the riverside path under St Mary’s Bridge and near Duke Street where the paths are being improved.  He will put something on the website!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.